Monday, March 3, 2014

French cleat tool storage system

I have used pegboard for years as an easy way to hang my hand tools. I can see why it is popular with a lot of guys: its fairly inexpensive and there are a wide variety of hangers you can buy that will allow you to hang just about anything.

The problem I have always faced is that the little metal holders continually fall off when I try to remove a tool.  I understand there are more modern hangers than the ones I used that will stay in place, but I never got around to purchasing any. I bought an assorted box of hangers when I set up my pegboard and never added to it.

Nor did I ever move the pegs around. I set them in place and instead of getting the right hanger for the tool, Ive always just plopped tools on whatever hanger they will fit. Usually awkwardly.

Ultimately, I like building stuff for the shop whenever possible, rather than buying stuff. Especially since everything else on my tool hutch is hand-made.

This french cleat system lets you get creative with storage and is infinitely adjustable to your tools and set-up. Plus french cleats are sturdy. I use one to hold my TV on the wall.






*****
Mere Minutes.
This is a video from last weekend that I forgot to post here. Some updates on last weeks projects.





0 comments:

Post a Comment